Who else has SCA6 & vertigo?

Is vertigo part of having SCA6, or a coincidence? I've heard conflicting reports. What do you think?

Hi, this might help
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK1140/

Spinocerebellar ataxia type 6 (SCA6) is characterized by adult-onset, slowly progressive cerebellar ataxia, dysarthria, and nystagmus. Mean age of onset is 43 to 52 years. Initial symptoms are gait unsteadiness, stumbling, and imbalance (in ~90%) and dysarthria (in ~10%). Eventually all persons have gait ataxia, upper-limb incoordination, intention tremor, and dysarthria. Dysphagia and choking are common. Visual disturbances may result from diplopia, difficulty fixating on moving objects, horizontal gaze-evoked nystagmus, and vertical nystagmus

Hi Dory

have SCA6 and suffer from vertigo, but I've also have problems with my ears (not related to SCA6 but when I used to do a lot of scuba diving) so I'm not sure which of the two has caused the vertigo!

Julie

Hi Dory, Edmoose hit the nail on the head. I do have that ataxia. It hit me around the age of 45. I am now 52. If vertigo, is dizziness. I do not have that. I might get light headed. But not dizzy.

Hi
Vertigo is the feeling that you or your environment is moving or spinning. It differs from dizziness in that vertigo describes an illusion of movement. When you feel as if you yourself are moving, it’s called subjective vertigo, and the perception that your surroundings are moving is called objective vertigo. My wife has many of the symptoms of SCA6 but genetic test did not come back positive.

EdMoose thanks for letting me know what vertigo really is.

I have SCA6 and occasionally suffer from mild vertigo in large spaces especially when I am tired

Hi
My understanding is that symptoms get worse as fatigue builds. The cerebellum gets overloaded and gets fatigued, and has a hard time Multi functioning. Coordinating eye movements, balance, muscle motions, speech causes overload. Can’t do it all at once.

hello Dory

I have sca6 but not vertigo. I hav had the disease for 13 years, now I am 67. I can still walk with a rollator, but use varios wheelchairs & scooters. I slur, so people I know understand me, the rest think I am drunk. I usually pretend I am deaf or dumb, it saves struggling!

best wishesfiona