VA medical benefits

Over the summer a couple of people urged me to apply for VA medical benefits. In August I applied online. In September I received a denile letter stating my income was too high. Included in the letter was a statement stating if you were determined to have a catastrophic disability you would be considered.

I called my local VA hospital and spoke to them and they said to have my doctor described my condition and submit that to them. I delivered a copy of the letter to the VA and one week later I called them and found out I was covered for healthcare. I have read the benefits book and I believe I would be covered for home care, long-term care, nursing home care and durable medical goods as well as other benefits. I would urge anyone that has served in the military to contact their local VA to see they would be eligible and the steps they would need to take.

Hey...I have done that over three years ago....still in the appeals process....Hope it dosen't take another three years.....or longer....But ya know how this works...Hurry up and wait.......

I too am enrolled with my local VA (Ft Miley,San Francisco), although I have never used the VA.

I am in priority group 8c.

I was unaware that it included extended care. I guess I don’t know VA benefits very well

Interesting. I am a veteran and currently received SSD. I'm also on medicare for medical (plus United Healthcare ($0 premium) & Tricare). I'm not sure what else is not covered that I would need to apply for VA benefits.

Currently my husband's income is good. If something happened to him, I'd be in deep trouble as I'm unable to work.

Keep fighting for your benefits! As a former social worker, I had many clients that would apply for different types of disability benefits, and were denied at the first go round. I encouraged them to appeal, as they were truly disabled. Most were eventually approved! Often times their approval came with a law judge making the decision (at least in the USA). Best wishes..., ;o)

Being found to be catastrophicly disabled by the VA I was placed in a lower group. I went from priority group 8 to group 4. Income is not a consideration if you're in this group. I also receive SSD, a disability retirement, Medicare, and I am also covered by 2 private health plans. I think you should definitely look at this to see the benefits that would apply.
Julie Hahn said:

Interesting. I am a veteran and currently received SSD. I'm also on medicare for medical (plus United Healthcare ($0 premium) & Tricare). I'm not sure what else is not covered that I would need to apply for VA benefits.

Currently my husband's income is good. If something happened to him, I'd be in deep trouble as I'm unable to work.

When I first applied I was enrolled in group 8 also but being determined to be"catastrophically disabled"I was placed in priority group 4, which I believe you are entitled to many more benefits and I am no longer to require to pay co-pays
jerry said:

I too am enrolled with my local VA (Ft Miley,San Francisco), although I have never used the VA.

I am in priority group 8c.

I was unaware that it included extended care. I guess I don’t know VA benefits very well