The National Lottery Awards 2013
We are delighted to announce that SWAN UK are finalists in the ‘best health project’ category of The National Lottery Awards 2013. The awards are an annual search to find the UK’s favourite lottery funded project.
Competing against 6 other projects we need your help by voting for us and encouraging others to do the same – if we win we will accept the award on BBC TV and receive a £2,000 cash prize which could make a huge difference to the support we can offer families. This money could allow us to host an extra fun day for our families, pay for 2 days trips for our families to go to a theme park or cover the cost of sending balloons to ill children in hospital for over a year.
SWAN UK is the only support available in the UK for families of children with an undiagnosed genetic condition. Funded by a 5 year grant from The Big Lottery Fund, we are just starting our 3rd year we have already had a significant impact:
- over 800 families have made contact with more getting in touch on a daily basis.
- over 600 families are part of our thriving Facebook group offering each other support and sharing information.
- in April this year we initiated the UK’s first ever ‘Undiagnosed Children’s Awareness Day’ with families meeting up all over the country.
- various local family events have taken part across the country including Christmas parties and days out to museums, farms and theme parks.
- we hosted 2 fun-days for families last year with more planned for this year.
- hosted our own blog awards to help raise awareness of undiagnosed genetic conditions and celebrate the role of the internet as a source of information and support.
- visited genetic departments across the country to raise awareness and talk about the support we can offer families.
- produced a quarterly newsletter for families and assisted with a documentary about undiagnosed genetic conditions.
Winning the National Lottery Awards 2013, ‘best health project’ will have a huge impact on our community – please help us by voting to ensure that our members know that whilst their children are undiagnosed, they are not invisible.
You can vote in a number of ways:
Visit - www.lotterygoodcauses.org.uk/awards and vote for ‘SWAN UK’ in the best health project.
Call 0844 836 9704