Falling over

1. So far, I have been lucky. I have strong bones and have only suffered bruises when I have fallen. It's hubby's and my dread that sometime I will hit my head on something. After reading on this group,about a "neuro" therapist, I have a new pt who is working on balance and help with everyday living. He has to admit an "ordinary" person would do things instinctively where we have think about it. My friend who is an ot and works with school childrens ays all pt's are trained the same, their experience makes the difference.

My problem is that no dr. Has ever diagnosed my illness. The best one was “baffling!” If I go to a dr. To get script for PT, he’ll want to put me through all the tests again…I’ve had every test known to man…I refuse to go through them again to satisfy some dr. I’m hoping that a chiropracter can write a script so that I can finally get the PT that will benefit me.

Mommaroo, Have you been to a neurologist?

granny h said:

1. So far, I have been lucky. I have strong bones and have only suffered bruises when I have fallen. It's hubby's and my dread that sometime I will hit my head on something. After reading on this group,about a "neuro" therapist, I have a new pt who is working on balance and help with everyday living. He has to admit an "ordinary" person would do things instinctively where we have think about it. My friend who is an ot and works with school childrens ays all pt's are trained the same, their experience makes the difference.

granny h said:

So far, I have been lucky. I have strong bones and have only suffered bruises when I have fallen. It's hubby's and my dread that sometime I will hit my head on something. After reading on this group,about a "neuro" therapist, I have a new pt who is working on balance and help with everyday living. He has to admit an "ordinary" person would do things instinctively where we have think about it. My friend who is an ot and works with school childrens ays all pt's are trained the same, their experience makes the difference.
I have had PT and OT. The amount obtained was not enough to sustain the workout I felt I needed. Saved up the dollars and purchased a 3 wheel recumbent street trike, seat low enough to the ground. I am lucky to live in a 55+ community that has plenty of streets. I ride 6 to 13 miles a day and find it helps with keeping muscle and good for the trunk. The added pleasure I get is that I run in to community members out walking and meet and greet their dogs. As long as I am setting in the comfortable chair like seat with both hands on the upright handles I feel safe and free. I went for 8 speeds and a larger diameter back wheel and I can select gears that either gives me more resistance or when needed a gear to make it easier for inclines My partner helps me get on and off the trike.
I am well equipped with flags, tail and front lights. I use to ride a motorcycle and took a defense driving class and I keep all that I learned to watch for people, cars, animals and other hazards.
I also use to ride in 50k bicycle rides and riding my trike allows me good memories and as crossing the finish line of a 50k ride I feel a sense of accomplishment when I complete a trike ride.
I still fall frequently and I do put a lot of thought in to my every movement. My worse falls have been in the bathroom. I have lots of bars installed I knocked my self bonkers more than once suddenly falling backwards while brushing my teeth, hitting the bathroom door so violently that it caused the door stopper to strip from the floor. After the first time I decided to lean towards the sink well I must have leaned to much because my upper body fell forward, head hit the mirror so hard the mirror cracked. Sometimes getting it right just is impossible. I have fallen off the toilet many times.
I hate falling and always concerned about hurting myself but I try to keep trucking with a smile on my face.
I think of it as an adventure. Its my way of coping.

First I would talk to your doctor's nurse and explain your situation and that you are having ataxic symptoms but they can't find a diagnosis and see if doctor would refer you for PT to "see" if it will help. Maybe they will refer you without having a diagnosis. Won't know unless you ask. Don't assume.

Mommaroo said:

My problem is that no dr. Has ever diagnosed my illness. The best one was "baffling!" If I go to a dr. To get script for PT, he'll want to put me through all the tests again....I've had every test known to man...I refuse to go through them again to satisfy some dr. I'm hoping that a chiropracter can write a script so that I can finally get the PT that will benefit me.

I have been to neurologists in three different states. I’ve had 8 MRI’s, a spinal tap, holter monitor, an EEG, been to a neuro opthalmologist, Neuro audiolost…you name it, I’ve had it. I’ve been diagnosed with " disequilibrium"…what a joke! Then with MS, then ruled out MS…The most original? “Baffling----but at least it’s not fatal since you’ve had whatever it is for so long”.

I gave up on doctors many years ago. I think I would be a lot worse if not for the vitamins and supplements that I’ve been taking since all this started twenty seven years ago.

In 2012 A physical therapist was assigned to my late husband. When I led the gentleman to my husband, he stopped me to tell me I have cerebellar disease. Checked out the symptoms…yes! This nice man said he could help me…but I need a script so that medicare will cover it. Unfortunately, doctors today won’t prescribe unless they’ve run their own tests…I’m not going there again…which is why I’m hoping a chiropractor can prescribe PT.

Every thing i hit is with a smack like harder than it should have been, noticed that too. Isn't it annoying. Feel for you. I smashed into chair with my face on the wood part, could not even explain how this even happened, not even to myself.

Hi Linda and all,

SMACK!

like many or most patients on LWA, I have bad balance. I often loose balance and stumble without actually falling. Almost every day I 'bounce' of a wall or something having had lost my balance and this can happen several times a day. I really ought to 'take more water with it'!

There are times though that I actually fall suddenly! From time to time, I fall straight down with no trip, slip, dizziness, stumble or anything. One minute I could be stood [with walking aids] next I'm a pile on the floor. I go down with a hard smack usually in this type of fall. After the most recent of these falls, I was in a lot of pain in my rear and left side having falling backwards into a [very solid] oak bookcase and found it difficult to do my physiotherapy exercises for days. Although when these types of fall happen I seem to be fully aware and responsive almost straight after, one neurologist I spoke with said that I was probably losing consciousness for a very brief time (less than a second) and that's why the falls are so sudden but she could not explain exactly what was happening to cause this.

I hope you recover swiftly Linda. Kindest regards.

Hello. All, stairs are so difficult, going up the handrail stops me falling backwards, going down it is very very slow, glasses are at least 1" from the rim or I slop it out, walking needs attention, otherwise I usually fall backwards, I can manage walking around shops but get "doddery"when tired which is after 1 1/2 miles. I can remember falling backwards when I got a mobile phone call, in my smart red coat, over like a cable, flat on the pavement. When I’m. Not tired it’s not so bad but very little tires me. I have fallen downstairs so often, I just got to ignore it and likened myself to. a toddler, mind you not very convincing at 55. I love this site keep contributing please!!ŷ

Otherwise

Know those feelings Sarah, nothing seems how it is supposed to be or where it is supposed to be.

Sarah said:

Hello. All, stairs are so difficult, going up the handrail stops me falling backwards, going down it is very very slow, glasses are at least 1" from the rim or I slop it out, walking needs attention, otherwise I usually fall backwards, I can manage walking around shops but get "doddery"when tired which is after 1 1/2 miles. I can remember falling backwards when I got a mobile phone call, in my smart red coat, over like a cable, flat on the pavement. When I'm. Not tired it's not so bad but very little tires me. I have fallen downstairs so often, I just got to ignore it and likened myself to. a toddler, mind you not very convincing at 55. I love this site keep contributing please!!ŷ

Otherwise